The holidays are a time to connect with loved ones, celebrate family traditions, and give back to those around you. While that’s going to look a little bit different this year, DoorDash wants to help keep those traditions alive, savor the flavor of the holidays and treat the ones you love near and far with our new Gifting feature.
Whether you’re looking for a unique holiday present, a birthday gift, or simply want to show friends and family that you’re thinking of them no matter how far apart you are, DoorDash and Caviar now offer a new way for you to give delicious gifts to loved ones this holiday season and beyond.
Through Gifting, you can send everything from sweet treats to savory meals and more, ranging from holiday baked goods and chocolates, to celebratory cake and champagne, to soothing, get-well food and convenience items like chicken noodle soup, cough drops, and bath bombs. So whether it’s a “cheer-up” cheesecake, a “you-smashed-it” smoothie, a “just-because” burger or a Thanksgiving torte, we’re making it easier than ever to share the gift of food for every occasion. And with thousands of restaurants across the country to choose from ranging from national favorites like Baskin Robbins, Crumbl Cookies, See’s Candies, Krispy Kreme and Chipotle, to local heroes like Levain Bakery, Magnolia Bakery, Milk Bar, Salt & Straw, Van Leeuwen Ice Cream and more, there’s a perfect range of options for everyone on your list!
Our gift to you:
Starting today through Black Friday (11/19–11/27), to celebrate the launch of Gifting and inspire those to spread cheer to loved ones you can’t be near, we’re giving every customer who gives a gift of $20 or more on DoorDash or Caviar $10 off on your next order, as a gift from us to you.* Here’s a little reward for supporting the local restaurants that are the fabric of our communities.
Additionally, to celebrate the launch, we’re inviting you to give gifts to others while doing good at the same time. For every gift given on DoorDash or Caviar from November 24th through Giving Tuesday (December 1st), we’ll match your gift by donating a meal to someone in need through Feeding America .** We’re challenging gift receivers to keep the spirit of giving alive all season long and support local businesses by using the hashtag #OpenForDelivery to share your favorite foods to gift and receive.
Here’s how it works:
- Change the address to the recipient’s location: Simply open up your DoorDash or Caviar app and enter the address of the person you want to send a gift to. You’ll also see a banner at the top of the homepage directing you on how to gift.
- Choose and personalize your gift: Browse and find the perfect gift from any store on the DoorDash and Caviar app. On the checkout page click “send as a gift” to turn any order into a gift order. Add the recipient’s name and choose from a range of digitally-animated cards for a variety of occasions — from birthdays, to congratulations, to happy holidays to ‘thinking of you’ — and craft a personalized message to go along with your food gift. Finally, fill in the recipient’s phone number through your contact list for a smooth drop off.
- Place your order and share your gift: After confirming your gift’s details, place your order. Share your gift link with your loved one to let them know a treat is on the way, this allows them to track the delivery, and open the virtual message!
The best gifts are edible gifts:
Wondering what gifting behaviors are most popular among Americans? Here’s what we found:
- Move over sweets, savory fries are the real way to someone’s heart: When it comes to the treats that bring us together and show we care, we saw more Americans gifting savory items like french fries and burrito bowls, followed by cookies. The most popular cuisines to gift in the U.S. are savory foods followed by desserts and breakfast items.
- Is gifting your love language?: You may want to consider moving to one of the top gift-giving cities in the U.S. – Los Angeles, Chicago and Houston – where residents are more likely to show their love by sending gifts to their friends and family!
- Any reason is the best reason to give a gift: The most popular gifting occasions in the U.S. are ‘Just Because’ gifts to show those you love how much they mean to you, “Birthday” gifts to celebrate another year of your favorite people, and “Feel Better” gifts to bring joy and comfort, even if you can’t show your support in person this year.
- Give a gift that’s as unique as the occasion!: We want every gift to feel as unique as the occasion you and your loved ones are celebrating. From congratulating friends and family for becoming new parents, a new homeowner, or landing a new job, to saying good luck on everything from the SATs to a PhD Dissertation, we’ve seen users send gifts for all types of life events and celebrations!
DoorDash was founded to empower local communities, and we hope Gifting will continue to foster delightful experiences and inspire connections between you, your loved ones, and your favorite local businesses. So be sure to try out Gifting this holiday season to show those you care about most that you’re thinking of them. Gifting is now available on DoorDash on iOS and Web, and on Caviar on iOS and Web, with Android coming soon. Need some gifting inspiration? Keep an eye out for recommended gift collections coming soon on the DoorDash and Caviar apps!
Check out our national TV spot below, airing now!
*DoorDash $10 Promo Terms and Conditions: Get $10 off your next order when you place a DoorDash gift order with a minimum subtotal greater than $20, excluding taxes and fees, from 11/19/20 through 11/27/20. $10 off promo code will be emailed to your DoorDash account within 48 hours of placing a qualifying gift order; code will be applied to recipient’s account after recipient selects code in email. $10 off promo code must be redeemed by December 4, 2020. Promo code not valid on pickup orders. Limit one code per person. Promo code valid for one-time use only. Fees, taxes, and gratuity still apply. All deliveries subject to availability. Must have or create a valid DoorDash account with a valid form of accepted payment on file. No cash value. Non-transferable. Promo code cannot be combined with other offers or discounts. Terms are subject to change by DoorDash at any time. DoorDash reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time. See full terms and conditions at help.doordash.com/consumers/s/article/offer-terms-conditions
*Caviar $10 Promo Terms and Conditions: Get $10 off your next order when you place a Caviar gift order with a minimum subtotal greater than $20, excluding taxes and fees, from 11/19/20 through 11/27/20. $10 off promo code will be emailed to your Caviar account within 48 hours of placing a qualifying gift order; code will be applied to recipient’s account after recipient selects code in email. $10 off promo code must be redeemed by December 4, 2020. Limit one code per person. Promo code valid for one-time use only. Fees, taxes, and gratuity still apply. All deliveries subject to availability. Must have or create a valid Caviar account with a valid form of accepted payment on file. No cash value. Non-transferable. Promo code cannot be combined with other offers or discounts. Terms are subject to change by DoorDash at any time. DoorDash reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time.
** Feeding America Promo Terms and Conditions: Every $1 donated helps provide at least 10 meals for families facing hunger through the Feeding America® network of food banks. For every gift sent on DoorDash or Caviar between November 24th and December 1st, 2020, DoorDash will donate the cash equivalent of one meal to Feeding America, up to a maximum of 100,000 meals, through Round It Up America®.