While the official first day of summer is still a month away, we all know May marks the “unofficial” start of the sunny season–with brighter days, warmer nights, and gathering outside with those we love. From firing up the grill to finding the perfect recipe for those picnic park days, food remains a thread that connects communities. With more than 73% of Americans stating that grilling is a must-do summer activity,* we took a look at grocery shopping trends surrounding the one item no cookout is complete without: burgers. Just in time for the ultimate grilling weekend crossover – National Burger Day (5/28) and Memorial Day here’s what we found:
“Ketching” up to the Competition
- It’s no surprise that Ketchup reigns supreme as the #1 condiment choice for burgers, but Mayo is a close second when stocking up on burger supplies. If this trend continues, Mayo could be the most popular burger condiment by 2025–you heard it here first!
- Mustard is a distant third in the burger condiment race, but still a major player in the condiment space, especially in the Southeast and Mountain regions.
Which Condiments are Topping the Charts (and your burger)?
No burger is complete without condiments and when grocery shopping for burger supplies, consumers always make sure to include one of these staples in their cart. The Top Five Burger Condiments:
More Cheese, Please
- Most Americans prefer cheddar cheese on their burgers, but Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love‘s loyalty to American cheese remains strong.
- Over on the West coast, San Francisco may not be a fan of American cheese, but the Bay Area sets the bar high for loving parmesan.
Healthy Options on the Rise
- While fries are traditionally paired with burgers, when it comes to grilling more Americans are reaching for healthier options, with veggies & fruits being the most popular aisles shopped when people are buying burgers from the grocery store.
What Time is It? Burger Time
- Sundays are by far the most popular day to cook burgers at home. Talk about a cure for Sunday Scaries!
- While people may order burgers throughout the day to cook, the single most popular time is right before dinner at 5pm, taking advantage of the on-demand convenience that DoorDash offers.
The United States of Burgers
While burgers remain a top ordered food on DoorDash nationwide, these 10 states have an extra affinity for the grilling staple:
- New York
- North Carolina
As you head into grilling season, DoorDash’s wide grocery selection makes it easy and convenient to find everything you need, from the weekly stock up to the last-minute ingredients needed for dinner tonight. To help celebrate BBQ season no matter the toppings, use code WEGETGROCERIES** for 30% off one grocery order of $30 or more, up to to $20 off, on first-time grocery orders from now until June 30. Happy grilling!
**Qualifying customers will receive 30% off at qualifying grocery stores. Maximum redemption value of $20. Minimum subtotal of $30. Offer available until 06/30/2023 at 11:59 PM PT. This offer may be amended or canceled at any time without notice and is only available for customers that have not placed a grocery order on DoorDash. Limit of one promo code redemption per order. This offer can be redeemed for one order. Not valid on carts containing alcohol. Fees, taxes, and gratuity still apply. All orders subject to availability. Must have or create a valid DoorDash account with a valid form of accepted payment on file. No cash value. Non-transferable. See full terms and conditions at help.doordash.com/consumers/
This data was compiled by looking at DoorDash grocery orders from May 2022 through March 2023.